Download Full Text (854 KB)
Berks and Schuylkill Journal, apples, Morrison Apple, church bells, church organs, James G. Morrison, Pow-Wow doctors
A set of notes copied from the Berks and Schuylkill Journal dating from 1872 to 1874, written by Alfred L. Shoemaker. Within, excerpts detail information on subjects ranging from church bells and organs to the origins of certain varieties of apples.
B & S J
Aug. 24, 1872
The first church which stood at a distance of several hundred feet from the present site, was built of logs in a very primitive manner. It is related, that it contained the then unusual luxury of a stove, which was fed with fuel through a hole in the wall, from the outside of the church, after the manner of an old fashioned bake-oven. Very few persons are now living who remember to have seen it.
Sept. 7, 1872 Frederick Oberhauser, Pottstown, organ builder.
Old Womelsdorf organ: “Many's the time I sat in the old high backed benches in the gallery, watching, the organist, as he would pause at the end of every line, and wait for the minister to give out the next.”
March 8, 1873 A Bear Story
"After a day spent in the most delightful exercise of wading through snow drifts and sliding down impromptu “witch hills”, the party returned to their homes…”
April 26, 1873 Old Time “Spook” Stories
Aug 30, 1873 The Fallawalter Apple - The Oxford (Chester Co.) Press, asserts
originated in Colerain Township, Lancaster County, about forty years ago, on the farm of James G. Morrison, then owned by his father. The original tree, it says, was a seedling, and grew on the bank of a stream, into which the apples fell, and from this, the name was derived - fall-in-water, Fallawater.”
“…In some sections it is called the Morrison apple.”
Oct 25, 1873 John Strauss, 91 of Jeff. T.
“…On account of being regarded by the citizens of this section of the county as an excellent pow wow doctor, he is frequently called upon…”.
April 4, 1874 p.4 Hepler Apples
June 13, 1874 History of church bells Reading
Oldest: “This is the bell which in the earlier days when Reading was a borough and its citizens owned farms adjoining its boundaries, announced the hour of 8 o’clock for the opening of school, and 12 the dinner hour, and some say, 6 o’clock, the supper hour and time to quit work.”
This item is available courtesy of the Ursinus College Library Special Collections Department. It is not to be copied or distributed for commercial use. For permissions which fall outside of educational use, please contact the Special Collections Department.
Shoemaker, Alfred L., "Notes On Apples and Churches From the Berks & Schuylkill Journal, 1872-1874" (1950). Alfred L. Shoemaker Folk Cultural Documents. 81.
In Copyright. URI: http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/
This Item is protected by copyright and/or related rights. You are free to use this Item in any way that is permitted by the copyright and related rights legislation that applies to your use. For other uses you need to obtain permission from the rights-holder(s).